Hello World! Its me Nicholas! Glad to see you have been spinning at your usual glacial pace (trust me, you don't need to spin much faster. You look svelt.) Where have I been this past week or so? Good question. Booze is a wonderful thing my friends. Here's to Bacchus!
I must say, not having a phone, while at times frustrating, is the greatest thing ever. I can relax and get much more thinking done. I've also had limited to no internet access. Yeah I know. I like to live in on a little place I call "the edge".
The days have been filled with visiting sick and injured friends, work, work, work, and 48 hours of insanity while making a movie with friends. This has lead me to believe that madness is contagious highly potent when you're surrounded by your buds. Or in the immortal words of one man I shall only call Ballou: "Tits or get the fuck out!" Brick babies indeed.
In other news, my mind has been racing at a fever pitch. I've been coming up with more ideas for books and stories and plays than i know what to do with. So far i've thought of creating:
-a graphic novel that takes place during the Chicago World's Fair and follows a group of travelling circus performers who have to solve a series of killings happening around the city. It would end up being some sort of social commentary in the vein of Alan Moore or Iain Sinclair.
-A play centered around the true story of Lope De Aguirre, a conquistador in the 1500's, who embarks on an expedition to find El Dorado, the lost golden city. He ends up killing his 15 year old daughter Elvira and rebels against the rule of King Philip of Spain. Think Macbeth meets Richard III meets Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now.
-A comic book/novel depicting the afterlife. I started thinking about the land of the dead as an ever expanding universe where dead and extinct peoples and cultures are stacked right on top and next to each other. This would make some kind of huge metropolis where you could look at different cultures bumping up against each other. It could be a bunch of short stories connected only by their location. I've also thought of a very intricate story of Napoleon deciding to take over the underworld. This all came out of a play a abandoned writing last year that was much less science fictiony and more philosophical.
-Baby Noir! started off as a joke between me Oreilly and Jonny after we were insane for two days but I'm starting to think it could be a really funny story. And strange. Very strange.
Various other things. Thinking about how I would play Hamlet, Macbeth, or Richard. Its got to happen someday.
I've also been reading a great book called "The year of the King" by actor Antony Sher. Its a journal he kept detailing his life during the year that he gave his breakthrough performance of Richard III at the Royal Shakespeare Company. I've begun an online correspondence with him and he has been a wealth of inspiration.
I'll probably edit this later for details but so far thats my life as of right now!
No comments:
Post a Comment